Monday, January 28, 2008

wonder

monday morning. the house is filled with silence. true silence. not merely quiet.

silence. a rare quality.
true silence allows for deep introspection and self-awareness.

the return of early morning light and early evening light has brought some of the flicker back into the flame of my being. the imminence of a milder period in terms of temperature is also heart-warming. to continue this process of thawing the interior as well as exterior components of my self i share with you today a translation of a poem by the sufi poet ibn 'arabi.


this image and others like it can be seen at this gorgeous flickr set .

wonder,
a garden among the flames!
my heart can take on any form:
a meadow for gazelles,
a cloister for monks,
for the idols, sacred ground,
ka'ba for the circling pilgrim,
the tables of the torah,
the scrolls of the quran.
my creed is love;
wherever its caravan turns along the way,
that is my belief,
my faith.
- ibn arabi

ibn 'arabi was born in murcia, al-andalus, in 1165. he began to write at about the age of 27, and continued to do this for the rest of his life.

No comments: