Friday, September 12, 2008

taking the lap out of laptop

as a laptop user for almost four years, i think i have likely experienced most of the challenges associated with finding a nice work surface other than my lap. concern around the proximity of an electronic device and its associated magnetic and otherwise charged fields near my nether regions has compelled me to search for an alternative. read this if you are curious about that last comment!

the first one i came across is an interesting proposal for a modified chair. from the pencil of robin carpenter comes the “just” chair. it looks very comfortable but i wonder at the slight contortion that i think would be required to sit and turn slightly to the right while typing. hard to say.

no, i’m looking for something that sits on the arms of my chair and somehow surrounds me ever so slightly. it needs to be made of wood and be soft underneath to account for the differing heights of the surfaces it might be resting on. a wide variety of lapdesk solutions can be viewed here. this is my favourite . . . and comes it at under fourty dollars!

but the design that really caught my eye is this lovely idea from the ergostore.
it possesses all of the retro qualities of a tv tray and all of the functional and aesthetic qualities that take it out of my lap and most importantly, don’t compromise the design ethos of the golden fish world headquarters.

No comments: