Monday, August 30, 2010

the farther away i am

i wake up some mornings
keenly aware of the fragility
of my body

its impermanence

it is here
for such a relatively short amount of time
subject to all sorts of stress
demands and expectations
that aren't entirely physical
but which resolve in part
in the physical realm

i'm comfortable with flying away
really i am
although i wish
for enough time
to complete
what i hope to take care of
while i am here

that's a lot
to ask
and the mechanisms
by which the answer is driven
carry no guarantees
no warranties
just possibilities

~


in this mood of reflective wistfullness
i came across a song i have loved since it was first made available



ladies and gentlemen headphones on please!



the farther away i am
the farther away i am
is it just a cloud passing under
i don't want to lose you . . . .

words - daryl hall ~ frippertronics - robert fripp




if your sense of daryl hall has been irrevocably adjusted by this listening then you may wish to look for this disc



8 comments:

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I bought this when it was released on vinyl in 1980 after hearing rumors about it for three years. I also love Babs and Babs/Urban Landscape. Thanks for reminding me of how move I loved this and prompting me to pull out the old LP to transfer to MP3.

Linda Sue said...

Success- irrevocably altered- softened me to the core, that.I am surprised and amazed- I would say "who knew" but ...you did!

steven said...

ladrón de basura! great to see you again! i came to this album through admiring robert's music and so i too appreciate "urban landscape". babs and babs is a strong tune that stays with you long after the disc has left the wheel of steel. steven

steven said...

linda sue - daryll like so many other musicians has worked under contract with managers who have defined his sound and this album was actually not released at the wish of his record company for the damage it was felt would accrue to its being associated with him. true story. i'm glad you enjoyed it. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

I dearly love life in corporeal form, though like you, I don't fear or dread the end of this phase. I've seen people die and I know that it is a great liberation.

Ah but I love my "imprisonment" here in this being of sensations, tastes, smells, sights and sounds.

Always love your musical selections. Thank you for this!

Okie said...

Beautiful and thoughtful. And the music is a fabulous addition.

Thanks.

steven said...

reya - yes! i really enjoy your depiction of the "imprisonment" in sensations and the senses. i'm very much so inclined myself! steven

steven said...

thanks a lot okie!!! steven